Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use any of your tools?
Before you can use our tools, you'll need to take an orientation for the specific tool. For example, if you would like to use our woodworking tools, you'll need to take the WOODSHOP 101 class.
- I bought a membership, does that mean I can use the tools right away?
Not right away, but after you've taken the orientation you can. We generally recommend taking the orientation before you sign up as a member to get the most out of your membership.
- I have years of experience with this tool, do I still need to take the introductory course?
Yes, you still need to take the course.
- How do I know when a tool is available? Can I just drop-in?
We have an online calendar for the laser cutter and the CNC router where you can book a time to use the machine: www.makerlabs.com/booking. The woodworking tools are on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Do my machine minutes get carried over?
No. If you do not use your monthly minutes, they expire.
- What file types does the CNC router and the laser cutter accept?
Most vector files are accepted: PDF, SVG, AI, and DXF. DWG is acceptable for the CNC router. However PDF tends to be best at keeping its dimensions.
- When are your classes?
Our class calendar can be found here. Typically, they are offered on a weekly basis.
- Do I need to bring anything to the class?
Not at all! We need everyone to wear closed-toe shoes and if you have long hair you have to tie them. You can bring pen and paper to take notes, or your own safety goggles and boots for the WOODSHOP 101 class. Otherwise, we provide you with safety goggles and ear plugs.
- Can I come in on the day of the class and pay by cash?
Yes, however, no spot is not guaranteed as priority is given to people who have paid and registered online.
- Can I get a refund if I missed a class or if I can't attend the class?
We cannot give you a refund; however, if you have given us 24-hour notice, we can register you for the following class.
- I paid full price for the class, but I became a member after that. Is it possible for me to get the member price somehow?
Yes, if you sign up as a member within same day of the class, we will give you a $20 refund back to your credit card.
- Do you offer private classes?
Yes we do. Our private class rates are $120 + tax per person.
- May I come in and get a tour?
Yes, tours are offered everyday at 6:30 pm. Book online here.
- Is there any special requirement to become a member?
None at all, just sign up in person at the front desk. You still need to take the introductory class in order to use the tools.
To find our policies and procedures, tool manuals and other information relevant to you as a member of the Lab, please go here.
- Can I get a refund for my membership?
No, we do not give refunds for membership fees. And we must be notified 7 days in advance of the renewal date or you will be charged for that month.
- How do I cancel membership?
To cancel your membership, please email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 7 days before your next billing cycle.
- How do I rent studio space at MakerLabs?
We recently changed our policy, and therefore no longer have a waiting list. If you are interested in studio space, you can see our current availability here. We rent on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Is there any difference between renting a space on the ground floor and the second floor?
The ground floor is suited for more work that involves noise and dust. The second floor is a noise-free and dust-free environment.
- How do I get 24/7 access to the space?
You need to subscribe 250 square feet or more of Maker studio space.
- I have other people that will be working in my space, do they have to become a member as well?
If they will only be using your studio space and occasional access to tools, they can become an Affiliate member. Affiliate membership gives the holder access to the studio space and discounted classes, but not the discounted rate or unlimited access to tools.
- How do I cancel my studio space?
To cancel your studio space, please email email@example.com at least 7 days before your next billing cycle.
- Can I leave my projects to dry overnight?
Yes, members that require overnight space for projects to dry or set are to see the front desk to fill out a short-term storage tag. Members are allowed a maximum of one overnight per 7 days free of charge. Any projects that require consecutive nights of public use space are subject to short-term storage rental rates.
- Is there somewhere I can put my project short-term?
We have short-term storage shelves and areas that are available to keep projects and materials. The rates are based on $1/ sq.ft per week, with a $10 minimum per week. Any projects or material that are not tagged with on overnight tag or that have appropriate arrangements for storage are subject to a storage infraction ticket.
- How do I reserve space for my event (workshop, meetup, party, etc.)?
You can reserve the lounge, loading bay, or boardroom here. But, please make sure to check out our space reservation policy for the rates here.
RUSH JOBS AND FILE PREP
- Can I expect to get a rush job done immediately at the time of drop off?
For rush jobs, we typically take the material and turn it around within 24 hours, or during the same day if it's a smaller job. But if you want it done immediately, we charge $2 per minute for the appointment time.
- Can I be present during the job?
Full service in-person appointments cost $30 per 30 minutes or $3 per minute of cutting time (whichever is greater).
- Can you prep a file for me?
Yes, we charge $1 per minute for design and file conversion.